Thursday, June 17, 2010
Important Fiber Facts
Research has shown fiber to be powerful toward a healthy diet and lifestyle, but many people aren't taking this nutrient seriously.
Here are 9 important facts about fiber:
1. Fiber can actually help with overeating. All high
fiber foods will take longer to chew and digest,
making you feel satisfied longer.
2. Fiber fights diseases. A diet high in fiber can
help to prevent colon cancer and heart disease. High
fiber helps the body to eliminate cholesterol by
binding it in the digestive tract.
3. More fiber needs more water. In order to keep
fiber moving through your digestive tract, you'll
need to consume a lot of water. With your fiber, you'll
need eight or more glasses of water every day.
4. Grains offer the most fiber. Dietary fiber is
actually plant matter that we cannot digest. The best
sources are whole grains and concentrated grain
5. Kids need fiber as well. Children that are older
than 2 years of age should consume a daily intake of
fiber. Kids are most receptive to fiber found in
fruits, vegetables, and even fortified breakfast
6. Most popular foods don't have enough fiber. If
you like the more popular foods, you probably need
to increase your intake of fiber.
7. You can get enough fiber. If you eat more than
50 grams of fiber in a day, you can get diarrhea
and bloating, which can interfere with your body's
absorption of other key minerals.
8. Fiber cannot be cooked out. When you cook
your fruits and vegetables, don't worry about cooking
the fiber out, as it stays. The fiber found in
fruits and vegetables aren't just in the skin or
in the peel.
9. Getting the right amount of fiber in your diet
doesn't have to be hard. Even though you may think
so, getting the amount of fiber you need isn't very
hard to do. All you have to do is eat the right
foods and you'll be well on your way to a fiber
Fiber is something you don't want to skip, as it is one of the key components to eating healthy.
Fiber can serve many different purposes, which are listed above. If you aren't getting enough fiber in your diet you should do something about it now instead of waiting until it is too late.